From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Reports Roundup (January 26)
[The following list is a compilation of the reports, statements, and other materials featured on the Jadaliyya Reports Page this past week.]
Kuwaiti MPs Propose a New Bedoon Law BedoonRights.org reports on a newly proposed Kuwaiti law that would redefine the term "bedoon" and grant stateless individuals access to health care and education.
Arrested Bedoon Activist Goes on Hunger Strike Kuwaiti activist Abdulhakim Al-Fadhli addresses Kuwaiti citizens, the Bedoon people, and the Kuwaiti Emir with his reasons for going on hunger strike.
Human Rights Watch Statement on Zero Dark Thirty Human Rights Watch condemns the portrayal of torture in Zero Dark Thirty, which depicts torture as an ugly but useful tactic and not acknowledging how its usage has damaged the reputation of the United States.
European Parliament Calls for Sanctions Against Bahrain The Bahrain Center for Human Rights reports on the European Parliament's new strongly worded resolution against the ongoing human rights atrocities in Bahrain and their call for targeted sanctions.
Palestine Refugee Family in Yemen Face Abuse Following Deportation from Saudi Arabia The Alkarama Foundation reports on the ongoing suffering of the Al-Hadad family, who were recently taken to Sana'a Central Prison without any legal proceedings.
Continued Harassment and Targeting of Abdulhadi Al-Khawaja's Family Members The Bahrain Center for Human Rights expresses its concern over the summoning of Hussain Ahmed, son-in-law of human rights defender Abdulhadi Al-Khawaja, to the Criminal Investigation Department.
Reporters Without Borders: Mourning Mothers Spokesperson to be Jailed for 6 Months Reporters Without Borders condemns the jail sentence of Mansoureh Behkish, founder of the Mourning Mothers movement in Iran, for her refusal to remain silent over cases of executed prisoners.
BADIL Proudly Announces the Release of its Report on Palestinian National Identity BADIL's new report begins to answer the question of how Palestinian youth in Mandate Palestine, Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon identify with their ancestry.
International Foundation for Electoral Systems FAQs on Jordanian Elections The International Foundation for Electoral Systems discusses the details of the policies and procedures surrounding the Chamber of Deputies election in Jordan held 23 January.
List of Children Killed by Drone Strikes in Yemen and Pakistan Drones Watch provides the names and ages of children killed in drone strikes in Yemen and Pakistan according to the Bureau of Investigative Journalism.
Recent Posts by Jadaliyya Reports
- After Gezi: Erdogan and Political Struggle in Turkey (Video) Nov 01 2014
- 14 منظمة حقوقية مستقلة تنتقد توسيع اختصاصات القضاء العسكري Oct 31 2014
- Labor Strikes in the GCC: Deportations and Victories in 2014 Oct 31 2014
- NYC Event--Can Palestinian Men Be Victims? Gendering Israel's War on Gaza (3 November 2014) Oct 30 2014
Egypt Elections Watch Update
As part of the Egypt Elections Watch (EEW), Jadaliyya and Ahram Online, with the Center of Contemporary Arab Studies (Georgetown University) and the Middle East Studies Program (George Mason University) as co-sponsors, will produce articles/posts/profiles on a weekly basis, covering organizations, political parties, coalitions, relevant laws and procedures, and profiles of key individuals related to the Egyptian elections. This is in addition to news updates summarizing major developments surrounding the lead-up to the election, such as emerging or shifting alliances, new political positions, and candidacy announcements. If you have questions, comments, contributions, and/or an eye-witness account, please email us at: email@example.com. For a listing of EEW’s team members please click here.
Egyptian Current Party
Egyptian Social Democratic Party
Egyptian Tahrir Party
Democratic Workers’ Party
Free Egyptians Party
Freedom and Justice Party
Ghad Al-Thawra Party (Hizb Ghad Al-Thawra)
National Progressive Unionist (Tagammu) Party
National Democratic Party Offshoots
Reform and Development Party-Misruna
Socialist Popular Alliance Party
Films in Classes
Egypt Map and Stats
GDP $497.8 billion
Unemployment 9%; Youth Unemployment (ages 15-24): 24.8%
Internet Users 20.136 million (2009)
Exchange Rate 5.6124 Egyptian pounds per US dollar
GDP Growth Rate 5.1%
Military Expenditures 3.4% of GDP (World Rank: 35)
Health Expenditures 6.4% of GDP (World Rank: 94)
Population Growth Rate 1.96%
Age Structure 0-14 years: 32.7%; 15-64 years: 62.8%; 65 years and over: 4.5%
Religious Demographics Muslim (mostly Sunni) 90%; Coptic 9%; other Christian 1%
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- قل "انتهاكات الحقوق الاقتصادية" ولا تقل "جرائم الفساد"
- ISIS in the News: Extensive Media Roundup (September-October 2014)
- Labor Strikes in the GCC: Deportations and Victories in 2014
- Analog Sound
- Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution (Audio Recording)
- البحر من هنا
- الحراك الجمعيّ على مواقع التواصل الاجتماعي: تشكيل البدائل وبناء الرأي العام
- Radio France Internationale Interview with Jadaliyya Co-Editor Samia Errazzouki on General Strike in Morocco
- New Texts Out Now: Nazan Maksudyan, Orphans and Destitute Children in the Late Ottoman Empire
- الحق في المدينة، في الأرض، وفي البحر
- Syria Media Roundup (October 28)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (October 28)
- DARS Media Roundup (October 28)
- Turkey Media Roundup (October 28)
- On the Margins Roundup (October)
- البحر الذي تواطأ مع الغزَّاة: منمنمات من ساحل المتوسط / فلسطين المحتلة
- مقدمة: البحر من هنا
- هذا البحر لي
- Sarah Samy
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (October 20-26)